Frequently Asked Questions
The Mobile Passport App is a touchless solution that provides a safe, secure, and streamlined way for U.S. and Canadian passport holders to use a mobile device to submit passport information and answers to entry-related questions to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), then access designated Mobile Passport Control lanes upon arrival in the United States.
The app can be downloaded for free and used immediately; it does not require a background check, interview, or pre-approval. Millions of individual and group digital submissions have been securely transmitted to CBP, eliminating long lines, paper forms, and shared kiosks.
An in-app upgrade to Mobile Passport plus is available via an annual or monthly subscription for those who want to save even more time. Premium features include the automated document scanner for passports, encrypted storage of passports, and a history of previous trips submitted on the app.
If using the free version of Mobile Passport, complete steps 1-2 before you travel, then complete the remainder of the steps upon arrival in the United States. If using Mobile Passport plus, complete steps 1-3 before travel to further streamline your entry to the United States.
- Download the Mobile Passport App from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store to an iOS or Android device, respectively.
- Make sure you are arriving in the U.S. at one of the airports or cruise ports currently participating with the Mobile Passport App (see a list here).
- Set up passport profiles on the app. According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), group submissions may be made using the Mobile Passport App on one mobile device for all family members of the same household traveling together (provided that each family member is either a U.S. citizen with a valid U.S. passport or a Canadian citizen with a valid Canadian passport and B1 or B2 visa status).
- Passport Information: For Mobile Passport plus members, use the document scanner to capture passport information. Alternatively, all members may manually enter passport information directly on the app. Make sure the name appears exactly as it does on the passport. For instance, under Surname, enter: last name. Under Given Names, enter: first name, SPACE middle name, SPACE, and so on.
- All hyphens and apostrophes should be replaced with a SPACE. Prefixes and suffixes including titles and hereditary status should not be included, except where the issuing state considers these to be legally part of the name. In this case, prefixes or suffixes should be represented as components of the Given Name field.
- Photo: Scroll to the bottom of the profile to open the camera on your device and follow the prompts for the passport holder.
Upon landing/docking in the United States and instead of filling out a traditional paper form:
- Power up your device and turn on Wi-Fi or data. Make sure the Date & Time device settings are set for your current, local time zone.
- Complete the New Trip section on the app by selecting the icon for the airplane or cruise ship or, for Mobile Passport plus members, select a previous trip as a template. Confirm passenger and travel information for those in you and your group and submit your information to CBP.
- Within moments, CBP will review your submission and send you a digital encrypted Quick Response (QR) code receipt. The code will expire after four (4) hours.
- Approach the federal inspection area and access the designated Mobile Passport Control lanes. The CBP officer will instruct you on how to scan the QR code on your device. Be prepared to also show your physical passport.
- Rate and review us in the App or Google Play Store, Like or Follow us on social media, or send us an email at [email protected] Your input helps us incorporate new features and functionalities to improve the whole process.
Mobile Passport plus is the premium version of the app that provides even more convenient features to prepare for upcoming trips and streamline your journey when arriving in the United States. Premium features include the automated document scanner to quickly and accurately capture passport details, encrypted storage of multiple passports, and a history of previous trips submitted on the app. An in-app upgrade to Mobile Passport plus is available via an annual or monthly subscription.
Both the free version and premium version of Mobile Passport can be used immediately; the app does not require a background check, interview, or pre-approval. Millions of individual and group digital submissions have been securely transmitted to CBP, eliminating long lines, paper forms, and shared kiosks.
In general, wait to submit your passport(s) and answers to CBP's questions upon arrival at your port of entry, after you have landed or docked. For optimal connectivity, we advise travelers to wait until they have reached the Federal Inspection Services (FIS) area to make their submission. Then, within seconds, travelers should receive an encrypted QR code receipt(s).
The basic version of Mobile Passport is free. Depending on your user settings, you may be prompted to provide your account password to download the app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store, otherwise, there are no fees associated with it. Mobile Passport plus is a premium version of the app, which is available as an in-app upgrade for an annual subscription with a free 7-day trial or a monthly subscription with no free trial.
The stores will charge the price of the purchase in addition to any applicable taxes, depending on your state/country. Both subscription plans automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off no later than 24 hours before the end of the current period.
When the app is updated this does not automatically sign you up for the paid premium Mobile Passport plus service. You will only be charged if you choose to make the upgrade. After opening the updated version of the Mobile Passport App you will find screens introducing the Mobile Passport plus premium service. You may choose to upgrade or stay with the free version of the Mobile Passport App. Payments will only be charged to your device account upon confirmation of purchase.
The Apple App Store now requires app developers to add a privacy “nutrition label” to explain what data is collected at a glance. At Airside, where we stand by our motto of “Privacy First. Human Always.”, we think this is a great policy! Mobile Passport is a mobile automation program; the data collected on the app is the same data collected on the Automated Passport Control (APC) kiosks. The kinds of data collected are: (1) selfie(s); (2) valid U.S. or Canadian passport information; and (3) answers to CBP questions verifying biographic and travel information. When using Mobile Passport to submit your information to CBP you will consent to share the passport information and answers to the declaration form. The selfies are stored only on your device and are not included in any submissions to CBP. To learn more about your data privacy on the Mobile Passport App, please read our TrustArc Datasheet.
It takes a few seconds to unlock the Mobile Passport App after placing your finger for TouchID or using FaceID to recognize your face. To set it up, make sure you turn on TouchID/Face ID in your device settings. After you open up the app and set up your PIN and passport profile, you will be asked if you'd like to activate TouchID/FaceID. Then, you will be asked two more times after logging in with your PIN. If you answer a total of three times with a “not now” response, the dialog will be skipped. To prompt the question again, you will need to reset the app.
There are three ways to change your PIN. You may reset your PIN on the unlock screen where you'll notice a prompt reading, “Forgot your PIN?” Or, you may set a new PIN after scanning a passport. You may also may uninstall/reinstall the app. Please be aware that since the only place your data is saved is on the app on your device, all existing passport profile(s) and trip history will be deleted if you choose to reset your PIN.
No. Existing Mobile Passport members will not be automatically upgraded to Mobile Passport plus. However, we may offer periodic promotions to our valued members. Stay tuned -- follow us on social media and subscribe to our online newsletter.
The document scanner is a Mobile Passport plus feature. It helps reduce error when creating passport profiles on the app. Instead of manually entering passport information, the scanner quickly and accurately captures the code located at the bottom of the physical passport and automatically fills in the data fields. Use the document scanner feature in a stable, well-lit environment before travel. How it works:
- Check mobile device settings to allow the Mobile Passport App access to your camera.
- Open the Mobile Passport App, then select “Add Passport” and “Scan passport”.
- Align the MRZ (Machine-Readable Zone) code at the bottom in the drawn field.
- When the code is correctly positioned, the field color will turn green.
- Confirm your personal information on the app appears exactly as it does on the physical passport.
Mobile devices using matching operating systems (e.g. iOS and iOS or Android and Android), allow users to restore their purchase by entering their Apple ID or Google Play Store credentials on the separate device. Contrasting operating systems or different accounts require separate subscriptions (e.g. iOS device and Android device).
Select the profile icon on the upper, right-hand side of the home screen. Individually, select the profile you would like to edit or delete. Touch the field you would like to change. A keyboard or calendar will open to allow you to make the change(s) manually. To delete a passport profile on an iOS device: scroll to the bottom, and select “Delete Passport” in the red bar. For an Android device: swipe right or left on the profile to get a red bar that reads “DELETE” on the left. For renewed passports, we suggest that you delete your old passport profile on the app, then create a new passport profile.
We periodically update pricing options and offer promotions. Our goal is to set pricing options that are both reasonable for our customers and sustainable for us to best support the service financially. We believe that the expanded subscription options appeal to a wide variety of travelers who value saving time. So what do you think? We take all feedback – whether positive or negative – seriously. Your input helps us incorporate new features, functionalities, and offerings to improve the whole process. Together, we’re innovating the development and reach of some immensely beneficial products and services built on the foundation of personal privacy, transparency, and convenience. Please email us at [email protected]
Go back to the passport profile, then touch the image of the photo. Your camera will open up again and allow you to take another “selfie”. Make sure to save your changes.
Company codes are only applicable to the Mobile Passport plus annual subscription plan and are not redeemable toward the monthly subscription plan. Companies may obtain a company code on behalf of their employees and/or customers. If your company is interested in obtaining a company code, please email us at [email protected].
At this time, there is no way to digitally transfer passport information on the Mobile Passport App from one device to another. Due to security measures, you will need to manually enter it again on the device you intend to use while going through inspections with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
There are four general states of subscription:
- No subscription: Default free version of Mobile Passport after download and opt-out of Mobile Passport plus when opening app.
- 7-day free trial of the annual subscription: In-app upgrade to the annual Mobile Passport plus subscription and within the first seven (7) days of the free trial.
- Annual subscription: In-app upgrade to the annual Mobile Passport plus subscription and after the 7-day of the free trial.
- Monthly subscription: In-app upgrade to the monthly Mobile Passport plus subscription.
We are approved to list only those airlines that have international arrivals at the respective port of entry. Sometimes travelers are looking for airlines that are operating under a code-share partner, so take a look at the bottom of your ticket or in the flight status box. Also, check to see if you're on a pre-clearance flight. At these 15 locations, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) performs the same inspection of passengers and their belongings prior to boarding U.S.-bound flights. Passengers do not have to undergo a second CBP inspection upon arrival in the U.S. and therefore do not need and cannot use the Mobile Passport App.
You may determine your subscription status a couple of different ways:
- Store: The best way to determine and manage your subscription status is by visiting the App Store or Google Play Store after you have downloaded the app. If you have chosen to upgrade to the premium version of Mobile Passport plus, you can also refer to the order receipt email sent to you by the store. It will detail the subscription renewal guidelines and links to how you can review your subscription directly in the store. You will not receive an email from the App Store or Google Play Store if you are using the free version of Mobile Passport.
- In-App: You may also open the app and select the drop-down menu located in the top left side. If it reads, “Upgrade to MPplus,” you are currently using the free version of Mobile Passport. If it reads, “Manage Subscription,” you are currently using the premium version of Mobile Passport plus.
- Device Setting: Alternatively, you may open your device settings to view and manage your subscription there.
- iOS: Open device Settings, select [your name], select “iTunes & App Store”, select “Apple ID”, select “View Apple ID”, select “Subscriptions.” If you are using the free version of Mobile Passport, the list of “Options” will include an upgrade to Mobile Passport plus for one (1) year or one (1) month. If you have chosen to upgrade to the premium version of Mobile Passport plus, the list of “Options” will show a checkmark next to Mobile Passport plus and a tab directly below to “Cancel Subscription.”
- Android: Open device Settings and select “Apps.” Mobile Passport will only be listed if you have upgraded to Mobile Passport plus. In this case, select “Mobile Passport” and options to manage your subscription. This will direct you to the Google Play Store where you can manage your subscription.
iOS: If you have an annual Mobile Passport plus subscription, you may opt-in to a monthly subscription by cancelling the current auto-renewal in the App Store. After the remaining duration of the annual subscription expires the App Store will automatically charge your account and initiate payments as per the applicable monthly payout schedule. The same applies when switching from monthly to annual subscription plans.
Android: If you have an annual Mobile Passport plus subscription, you may opt-in to a monthly subscription by cancelling the current auto-renewal in the Google Play Store. The current annual subscription must expire before the monthly subscription will be available to purchase. The same applies when switching from monthly to annual subscription plans.
These subscription policies are based on the standard Apple and Google subscription payment modules. Find out more about how to manage your subscription by visiting the App Store (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039) or Google Play Store (https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7018481?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en). If you believe that any of the store policies are unsatisfactory, please address your concerns directly with the App Store or Google Play Store.
If you need help with the Mobile Passport App during travel, ask the crew of your airline or cruise line during your final trip to the U.S. and/or U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials on the ground. We welcome your feedback, too. Your input helps us incorporate new features and functionalities to improve the whole process. Please email us at [email protected].
Mobile Passport is built on the foundation of personal data privacy. Data is only located on your encrypted device and will remain there for the duration of your auto-renewing subscription unless you delete it from the app.
The only time your passport profile(s) will not be saved on your device is if you turn off the auto-renew no later than 24 hours before the end of the current period and do not opt-in to a new Mobile Passport plus subscription the next time you use the app.
Mobile Passport is designed and developed by the company, Airside. Airside builds innovative privacy-based digital identity solutions that empower seamless and secure travel experiences by putting travelers in control of their own personal information. Our private, source-verified technology helps eliminate privacy concerns and reduce shared touchpoints, long lines, and crowding. Airside works closely with Airports Council International-North America (ACI-NA) and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). To learn more about Airside, and our other products and partners, please visit www.airsidemobile.com.
The trip history feature allows Mobile Passport plus members to review a record of their previous trips submitted on the app. Members may select a previous trip as a template for their current trip wherein the passenger and travel information will be auto-filled before starting of a new declaration. This information includes the passport profile(s), the airline or cruise line, and the port of entry. Members can quickly edit fields, then complete the declaration form for their current trip.
Frequent travelers often select favorite travel carriers and routes. We believe the trip history feature, in addition to the use of the passport scanner and storage of passport profiles, will speed up the submission process to enter the United States. We will continue to invest more resources into maintaining the highest levels of security in the app, build greater functionality within the app, make operational improvements, as well as create new products and services that will provide value to travelers beyond the Mobile Passport App.
The trip history feature was introduced for use by Mobile Passport plus members in iOS version 3.10.0 and Android version 2.33.0.
No. Travelers may still receive an error message while using the Mobile Passport App. The app was designed to reduce the associated administrative and operating functions carried out by CBP, increase the quality of inspections, streamline the traveler's inspection process, and shorten overall entry wait time (as compared to traditional primary processing). However, due to various reasons, users may still receive an error message indicating an unsuccessful submission.
We'd love to hear from you! Follow us on social media or subscribe to our online newsletter to hear about our latest developments. You may also write a review in the Apple Store or Google Play Store or send us an email at [email protected]. Your input helps us incorporate new features and functionalities to improve the whole process. Find out more about Airside, the makers of the Mobile Passport App.
The trip history feature will include previous trip submissions from Mobile Passport plus members from May 5, 2020 and forward. This feature on the app cannot retroactively retrieve the history of trips prior to this date. The only place your trip history and passport profile(s) are saved is on the app on your device.
If your request to cancel your Mobile Passport membership is in response to the offer to upgrade to Mobile Passport plus, please know app updates do not automatically upgrade you to the paid premium version. You may still access and use the free version of the app. You will only be charged if you choose to make the in-app upgrade to Mobile Passport plus.
In the unfortunate case you'd like to cancel your use of the app altogether and are using the free version of Mobile Passport, you may do so by uninstalling or deleting the app from your device.
There are several ways to cancel your in-app upgrade purchase of an annual or monthly Mobile Passport plus subscription. The most direct way is through the Apple App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android) on your device. Be sure to use the same account ID to cancel your subscription that was used to purchase it.
Android device: Google Play Store
- Open the Google Play Store.
- Tap on the menu icon in the top-left corner.
- Tap on the Subscriptions option found halfway down the list.
- Tap on Mobile Passport plus and Cancel Subscription.
iOS device: Apple App Store
- Tap on the icon or photo in the upper right corner.
- Under Account, tap Subscriptions.
- Tap Mobile Passport plus
- Tap Cancel Subscription.
Yes. You and your belongings will need to process through Federal inspections with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). You may use the designated Mobile Passport Control lane(s), scan the encrypted QR code on your mobile device, show your physical passport, and briefly talk to a CBP officer.
The Mobile Passport App may be used by U.S. citizens with a valid U.S. passport and Canadian citizens with both a valid Canadian passport and B1 or B2 visa status. Unfortunately, at this time, it won't work for U.S. Legal Permanent Residents. The Mobile Passport App is compatible with iOS and Android devices. You may check the exact requirements on the App Store and Google Play Store.
Group submissions may be made using the Mobile Passport App on one mobile device for family members of the same household traveling together (provided that each family member is a U.S. citizen with a valid U.S. passport or a Canadian citizen with both a valid Canadian passport and B1 or B2 visa status). Confirm the passport data for each individual, then select all of the passports for your traveling party when you complete and submit your itinerary. This will give you separate digital receipts in the form of encrypted QR codes to present to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
The Mobile Passport App is used upon your entry into the United States. Your port of entry is the location (e.g. airport, cruise port) where you will initially enter the U.S. and undergo screening by U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
Currently, you may use the Mobile Passport App at 29 airports and 4 cruise ports upon your arrival in the United States. We're continuing to work to gain approval to add more airport and cruise port locations. Please email us at [email protected] to tell us where you'd like to see Mobile Passport next!
No.The Mobile Passport App replaces traditional paper on which you answer to CBP's questions verifying biographic and flight information. Travelers must still present a valid passport during inspections, as well as the QR code receipt on the app, and briefly speak with a CBP officer.
Global Entry is part of U.S. Customs and Border Protection's (CBP) Trusted Traveler program that allows clearance for travelers upon arrival in the United States. Global Entry requires a background check, fee, and interview. Members enter the United States through automatic kiosks at select airports. Mobile Passport is an app based on an automation program, meaning it enables submissions of passport information and answer to CBP's questions verifying biographic and flight information via a mobile device and instead of the traditional paper form or Automated Passport Control kiosks. The Mobile Passport App can be downloaded for free and used immediately; it does not require a background check, interview, pre-approval, or a Trusted Traveler number. CBP's Trusted Traveler program and the Mobile Passport App are different, but can complement each other. We suggest travelers wait until they have arrived at the port of entry before making a submission to CBP. Travelers with both programs may wish to wait until approaching the inspection area to determine the shortest line (which may vary depending on the port and time of day), then decide which program to use, at that time.
The Mobile Passport App is not used for domestic travel inspections at TSA checkpoints nor affiliated with the TSA Pre-Check program at this time. Therefore, there is no designated space to enter your TSA Pre-Check information on the Mobile Passport App. The app is authorized by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) for U.S. citizens and Canadian visitors to ease their arrival into the United States.
All airports and cruise ports associated with the Mobile Passport App have accessible Wi-Fi. Ease your arrival by using Mobile Passport plus to set up your passport profile(s) days in advance and without being connected. Then, upon your arrival in the U.S., turn on your Wi-Fi or data, make sure the Date & Time settings for your device are set for your current, local time zone, and use the app to submit your itinerary to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). They will send you a digital receipt in the form of an encrypted QR code after they have reviewed your submission, which will expire after four (4) hours.
Your cruise ship will announce your terminal number as you're docking. If you're using Mobile Passport plus, you may set up your passport profile(s) on the app in advance, then complete your customs declaration form as you are arriving at your port of entry.