Frequently Asked Questions
Mobile Passport plus ($14.99 annually) provides even greater convenience with use of the automated document scanner and storage of passport profiles in preparation for your next trip.
For international travel on private aircraft, Mobile Passport allows all valid passport holders traveling to- or from the U.S. – who have received a trip locator and invitation from the pilot – to share passport and travel info with the pilot prior to the flight via their mobile device.
- Open the app and select the drop-down menu located in the top left side. If it reads, “Upgrade to MPplus,” you are currently using the free version of Mobile Passport and may choose to upgrade to the premium version of Mobile Passport plus. If it reads, “Manage Subscription,” you are currently using the premium version of Mobile Passport plus and may manage your subscription here.
- You will not receive an email from the App Store or Google Play Store if you are using the free version of Mobile Passport. If you have chosen to upgrade to the premium version of Mobile Passport plus, refer to the order receipt email sent to you by the store. It will detail the subscription renewal guidelines and links to how you can review your subscription directly in the store.
- Alternatively, members may open their device settings to view and manage their subscription.
If your request to cancel your Mobile Passport membership is in response to our recent decision to offer a premium version of the app called Mobile Passport plus, please know that the app update does not automatically sign you up for the paid premium version. You may still access and use the free version of the Mobile Passport app. You will only be charged if you choose to make the upgrade to Mobile Passport plus and exceed the 7-day free trial.
In the unfortunate case that you'd like to cancel your use of the app altogether and are using the free version of Mobile Passport, you may do so by uninstalling or deleting the app from your device.
If you made a purchase of Mobile Passport plus and are within the 7-day free trial period, you can cancel your current annual subscription in the Mobile Passport app, through the App Store or Google Play Store, and/or through your device settings. Please refer to the FAQ “How do I determine and manage my subscription status?” for more steps.
- Download the Mobile Passport app from the App Store or Google Play Store to an iOS or Android device. No pre-approval or interview needed!
- Make sure you are returning to the U.S. at one of the airports or cruise ports currently participating with Mobile Passport (see a list here).
- Set up your passport profile(s) on the app for each family member of the same household traveling together (provided that each family member is a U.S. citizen with a valid U.S. passport or a Canadian citizen with both a valid Canadian passport and B1 or B2 visa status). If using Mobile Passport plus, you may scan and store your passports before your trip.
- Mobile Passport plus feature! Use the document scanner to capture the Machine-readable Zone located at the bottom of your passport.
- Or, manually enter the information directly on the app.
- Make sure your name appears exactly as it does on your passport. For instance, under your Surname, enter: last name. Under Given Names, enter: first name SPACE middle name SPACE middle name, and so on. All hyphens and apostrophes should be replaced by a SPACE. Prefixes and suffixes including titles and hereditary status should not be included except where the issuing state considers these to be legally part of the name. In such cases, prefixes or suffixes should be represented as components of the Given Name field.
- Photo: Touch the box at the bottom of the profile. Your camera will open up to allow you to take a “selfie” of the respective passport holder.
- UPON ARRIVAL and instead of filling out a traditional paper form, power up your device and turn on Wi-Fi or data. Make sure the Date & Time settings for your device are set for your current, local time zone. Submit passports and customs declaration forms in the app.
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will send you a digital receipt in the form of an encrypted QR code in a few seconds. The code will expire after four (4) hours.
- Once you approach the inspection area, bypass the regular lines and follow the signs for the Mobile Passport Control dedicated lane(s).
- Show your physical passports and QR code receipt(s), and briefly talk to a CBP officer.
To delete a passport profile on an iOS device: scroll to the bottom, and select “Delete Passport” in the red bar. For an Android device: swipe right or left on the profile to get a red bar that reads “DELETE” on the left.
For renewed passports, we suggest that you delete your old passport profile on the app, then create a new passport profile.
How it works:
- Check your mobile device settings to allow the Mobile Passport app access to your camera
- Open the Mobile Passport app, then select “Add Passport” and “Scan passport”
- Align the MRZ (Machine-readable Zone) code at the bottom in the drawn field.
- When the code is correctly positioned, the field color will turn green
- Confirm that the data on the app appears exactly as it does on the physical passport.
Mobile Passport is built on the foundation of personal data privacy. Airside Mobile does not store, sell or otherwise share personal data. Data is only located on the encrypted device. Airside Mobile does not have a central database or any other means to store receipt validation, which means that we cannot remotely cancel memberships.
Airside Mobile uses the standard Apple and Google subscription payment modules. After the 7-day free trial period for Mobile Passport plus expires the App Store or Google Play Store will charge your account and initiate payments as per the applicable annual payout schedule. If you believe that those processes - or any other store policies - are unsatisfactory, please address your concerns directly with the App Store or Google Play Store.
Customs Process (MPC)
Global Entry (aviation), Nexus (northern land border), and Sentri (southern land border) are “Trusted Traveler” programs, requiring a background check, fee, and interview. Once approved, you use a kiosk each time you arrive in the U.S., and then proceed to the designated lane where you will hand a paper receipt to a CBP officer and keep walking.
The Mobile Passport is a free app based on an automation program, meaning that it enables you to submit your passport and customs declaration information via your mobile device instead of the traditional paper form. It does not require a background check nor your “Trusted Traveler” number.
It is great to use both the “Trusted Traveler” programs and the Mobile Passport app so you can choose the shortest line and breeze through Customs on your preferred program. Your results may vary depending on the airport and the time of day.
Make sure not to use these programs interchangeably for the same inspections process.