Frequently Asked Questions
The Mobile Passport App is a touchless solution that provides a safe, secure, and streamlined way for U.S. and Canadian passport holders to use a mobile device to submit passport information and answers to entry-related questions to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), then access designated Mobile Passport Control lanes upon arrival in the United States.
The app can be downloaded for free and used immediately; it does not require a background check, interview, or pre-approval. Millions of individual and group digital submissions have been securely transmitted to CBP, eliminating long lines, paper forms, and shared kiosks.
An in-app upgrade to Mobile Passport plus is available via an annual or monthly subscription for those who want to save even more time. Premium features include the automated document scanner for passports, encrypted storage of passports, and a history of previous trips submitted on the app.
- Download the Mobile Passport App from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store to an iOS or Android device, respectively.
- Make sure you are arriving in the U.S. at one of the airports or cruise ports currently participating with the Mobile Passport App (see a list here).
- Set up passport profiles on the app. According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), group submissions may be made using the Mobile Passport App on one mobile device for all family members of the same household traveling together (provided that each family member is either a U.S. citizen with a valid U.S. passport or a Canadian citizen with a valid Canadian passport and B1 or B2 visa status).
- Passport Information: For Mobile Passport plus members, use the document scanner to capture passport information. Alternatively, all members may manually enter passport information directly on the app. Make sure the name appears exactly as it does on the passport. For instance, under Surname, enter: last name. Under Given Names, enter: first name, SPACE middle name, SPACE, and so on.
- All hyphens and apostrophes should be replaced with a SPACE. Prefixes and suffixes including titles and hereditary status should not be included, except where the issuing state considers these to be legally part of the name. In this case, prefixes or suffixes should be represented as components of the Given Name field.
- Photo: Scroll to the bottom of the profile to open the camera on your device and follow the prompts for the passport holder.
- Power up your device and turn on Wi-Fi or data. Make sure the Date & Time device settings are set for your current, local time zone.
- Complete the New Trip section on the app by selecting the icon for the airplane or cruise ship or, for Mobile Passport plus members, select a previous trip as a template. Confirm passenger and travel information for those in you and your group and submit your information to CBP.
- Within moments, CBP will review your submission and send you a digital encrypted Quick Response (QR) code receipt. The code will expire after four (4) hours.
- Approach the federal inspection area and access the designated Mobile Passport Control lanes. The CBP officer will instruct you on how to scan the QR code on your device. Be prepared to also show your physical passport.
- Rate and review us in the App or Google Play Store, Like or Follow us on social media, or send us an email at email@example.com. Your input helps us incorporate new features and functionalities to improve the whole process.
Both the free version and premium version of Mobile Passport can be used immediately; the app does not require a background check, interview, or pre-approval. Millions of individual and group digital submissions have been securely transmitted to CBP, eliminating long lines, paper forms, and shared kiosks.
The stores will charge the price of the purchase in addition to any applicable taxes, depending on your state/country. Both subscription plans automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off no later than 24 hours before the end of the current period.
When the app is updated this does not automatically sign you up for the paid premium Mobile Passport plus service. You will only be charged if you choose to make the upgrade. After opening the updated version of the Mobile Passport App you will find screens introducing the Mobile Passport plus premium service. You may choose to upgrade or stay with the free version of the Mobile Passport App. Payments will only be charged to your device account upon confirmation of purchase.
- Check mobile device settings to allow the Mobile Passport App access to your camera.
- Open the Mobile Passport App, then select “Add Passport” and “Scan passport”.
- Align the MRZ (Machine-Readable Zone) code at the bottom in the drawn field.
- When the code is correctly positioned, the field color will turn green.
- Confirm your personal information on the app appears exactly as it does on the physical passport.
There are four general states of subscription:
- No subscription: Default free version of Mobile Passport after download and opt-out of Mobile Passport plus when opening app.
- 7-day free trial of the annual subscription: In-app upgrade to the annual Mobile Passport plus subscription and within the first seven (7) days of the free trial.
- Annual subscription: In-app upgrade to the annual Mobile Passport plus subscription and after the 7-day of the free trial.
- Monthly subscription: In-app upgrade to the monthly Mobile Passport plus subscription.
- Store: The best way to determine and manage your subscription status is by visiting the App Store or Google Play Store after you have downloaded the app. If you have chosen to upgrade to the premium version of Mobile Passport plus, you can also refer to the order receipt email sent to you by the store. It will detail the subscription renewal guidelines and links to how you can review your subscription directly in the store. You will not receive an email from the App Store or Google Play Store if you are using the free version of Mobile Passport.
- In-App: You may also open the app and select the drop-down menu located in the top left side. If it reads, “Upgrade to MPplus,” you are currently using the free version of Mobile Passport. If it reads, “Manage Subscription,” you are currently using the premium version of Mobile Passport plus.
- Device Setting: Alternatively, you may open your device settings to view and manage your subscription there.
- iOS: Open device Settings, select [your name], select “iTunes & App Store”, select “Apple ID”, select “View Apple ID”, select “Subscriptions.” If you are using the free version of Mobile Passport, the list of “Options” will include an upgrade to Mobile Passport plus for one (1) year or one (1) month. If you have chosen to upgrade to the premium version of Mobile Passport plus, the list of “Options” will show a checkmark next to Mobile Passport plus and a tab directly below to “Cancel Subscription.”
- Android: Open device Settings and select “Apps.” Mobile Passport will only be listed if you have upgraded to Mobile Passport plus. In this case, select “Mobile Passport” and options to manage your subscription. This will direct you to the Google Play Store where you can manage your subscription.
Android: If you have an annual Mobile Passport plus subscription, you may opt-in to a monthly subscription by cancelling the current auto-renewal in the Google Play Store. The current annual subscription must expire before the monthly subscription will be available to purchase. The same applies when switching from monthly to annual subscription plans.
These subscription policies are based on the standard Apple and Google subscription payment modules. Find out more about how to manage your subscription by visiting the App Store (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039) or Google Play Store (https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7018481?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en). If you believe that any of the store policies are unsatisfactory, please address your concerns directly with the App Store or Google Play Store.
Mobile Passport is built on the foundation of personal data privacy. Data is only located on your encrypted device and will remain there for the duration of your auto-renewing subscription unless you delete it from the app.
The only time your passport profile(s) will not be saved on your device is if you turn off the auto-renew no later than 24 hours before the end of the current period and do not opt-in to a new Mobile Passport plus subscription the next time you use the app.
Frequent travelers often select favorite travel carriers and routes. We believe the trip history feature, in addition to the use of the passport scanner and storage of passport profiles, will speed up the submission process to enter the United States. We will continue to invest more resources into maintaining the highest levels of security in the app, build greater functionality within the app, make operational improvements, as well as create new products and services that will provide value to travelers beyond the Mobile Passport App.
The trip history feature was introduced for use by Mobile Passport plus members in iOS version 3.10.0 and Android version 2.33.0.
In the unfortunate case you'd like to cancel your use of the app altogether and are using the free version of Mobile Passport, you may do so by uninstalling or deleting the app from your device.
There are several ways to cancel your in-app upgrade purchase of an annual or monthly Mobile Passport plus subscription. The most direct way is through the Apple App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android) on your device. Be sure to use the same account ID to cancel your subscription that was used to purchase it.
Android device: Google Play Store
- Open the Google Play Store.
- Tap on the menu icon in the top-left corner.
- Tap on the Subscriptions option found halfway down the list.
- Tap on Mobile Passport plus and Cancel Subscription.
- Tap on the icon or photo in the upper right corner.
- Under Account, tap Subscriptions.
- Tap Mobile Passport plus
- Tap Cancel Subscription.
Airside and Expedited Travel partnered to create a combined service offering of the Mobile Passport App and RushMyPassport online passport application services. To prepare for future trips, travelers can find a direct link to RushMyPassport on the home screen of Mobile Passport, and complete the administrative work digitally, without an in-person visit to a passport office or enrollment center.
If you made a purchase of the annual or monthly subscription accidentally, you can request a refund through your purchase history in the store. Subscription policies are based on the standard Apple and Google subscription payment modules. Find out more about how to manage your subscription by visiting the App Store (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039) or Google Play Store (https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7018481?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en). If you believe that any of the store policies are unsatisfactory, please address your concerns directly with the App Store or Google Play Store.
To expedite the application for any new or renewed U.S. passport, members will also find a link to the RushMyPassport on the Mobile Passport home screen.
Canadian passport holders with B1 or B2 visa status may also use the Mobile Passport App and will receive an in-app notification when their passport is within one year of the expiration date. However, RushMyPassport services only apply to U.S. passports at this time. For more information about the expedited passport and renewal offerings, please visit: https://mobilepassport.rushmypassport.com.
Airside uses standard Apple and Google subscription payment modules. After the 7-day free trial period for Mobile Passport plus expires, the App Store or Google Play Store will charge your account and initiate payments as per the applicable annual payout schedule. If you believe that those processes - or any other store policies - are unsatisfactory, please address your concerns directly with the App Store or Google Play Store.
We value our partnership with Jeppesen and continue to work together to streamline the whole clearance process by providing technology that meets the highest standards for privacy, security and compliance. If you have questions about Mobile QuickClear, please visit: https://support.jeppesen.com/product?pc=Flight_Planning&pid=Jeppesen_Mobile_QuickClear.
Yes.You and your belongings will need to process through Federal inspections with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). You may use the designated Mobile Passport Control lane(s), scan the encrypted QR code on your mobile device, show your physical passport, and briefly talk to a CBP officer.
No.The Mobile Passport App replaces traditional paper on which you answer to CBP's questions verifying biographic and flight information. Travelers must still present a valid passport during inspections, as well as the QR code receipt on the app, and briefly speak with a CBP officer.
All airports and cruise ports associated with the Mobile Passport App have accessible Wi-Fi. Ease your arrival by using Mobile Passport plus to set up your passport profile(s) days in advance and without being connected. Then, upon your arrival in the U.S., turn on your Wi-Fi or data, make sure the Date & Time settings for your device are set for your current, local time zone, and use the app to submit your itinerary to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). They will send you a digital receipt in the form of an encrypted QR code after they have reviewed your submission, which will expire after four (4) hours.